The black bow tie is not just the namesake of the Black Tie Dress Code but also the most important piece of the tuxedo or dinner jacket ensemble. This Fort Belvedere Black Barathea Bow Tie is the choice for men who have Barathea faced tuxedo or dinner jacket lapels or who want a less shiny alternative to our Black Satin Bow Tie. Barathea is a bit more understated but perfectly suitable for ball, gala, wedding or evening events. The silk used is finely woven in a special twill hopsack weave providing hardly any sheen. Of course it is a self tie bow tie but on top of that it has a an unbroken, continuous neck that is made exactly for your size so you can't see or feel any metal clasps on your collar, and that is both rare and the choice of true gentlemen.
You will not find a better black bow tie in silk barathea anywhere else!
1. Fort Belvedere sources this fine silk barathea from a renowned Italian silk mill.
2. Handmade - This bow tie is entirely made by hand with a special cotton interlining that enhances the softness of the material as well as the shape.
3. Self Tie Bow tie - Self tie bow ties separate the gentlemen from the boys. It is essential that you know how to tie your own bow tie.
4. Fixed Size - it is very rare to find fixed sized bow ties today especially the ones that are made from a solid piece of fabric in the back, which is essential for (detachable) wing collars because you never want any clasps showing in public. Likewise, it also looks and feels better with a turndown collar. In short, a fixed size black bow tie is the way to go for gentlemen.
5. This Butterfly Bow Tie will have dimensions of approx. 4.75" by 2.5" or 12 cm by 6.5 cm.
A bow tie should never be tied to look perfectly symmetrical, because it would look too much like a pre-tied cheap version, and who wants to look cheap? Instead, you should tie your black bow tie with a bit of wit, nonchalance or sprezzatura, meaning intentionally off kilter with one end a little longer than the other, one side higher than the other, or a tight or a loose knot to achieve bow tie perfection.
Most bow ties suffer from poor interlining and the same boring two shapes - not so Fort Belvedere bow ties. Inspired by the glorious 1930's, this classic evening bow tie shape is one of those small details that sets the gentleman apart from the boys. It is large enough, yet not overly big so it suits basically any face. This black barathea silk bow tie works well with all kinds of tuxedos with a barathea lapel, midnight blue or black tuxedo, white of off white shirt, studs or no studs, vest or cummerbund. It seems like Barathea is particularly popular in Great Britain, were Barathea became in fact a brand name for the Armure weave.
Make sure to wear a boutonniere with your lack bow tie and tuxedo. Traditionally men wear roses and carnations with evening ensembles.
Simply untie your bow tie just like you would untie your shoes. Store it hanging or laying flat, it is up to you.
This bow tie comes in heavy Fort Belvedere box, perfect unadorned for a gift box, storage or travel.
If you have questions, or need style advice in choosing a bow tie for yourself or someone else, let us know, we are happy to help.
SKUs: -4054956006926 -14 , -4054956006933 -14.5 , -4054956006940 -15 , -4054956006957 -15.5 , -4054956006964 -16 , -4054956006971 -16.5 , -4054956006988 -17 , -4054956006995 -17.5 , -4054956007008 -18 , -4054956007015 -18.5