The black bow tie is not just the namesake of the Black Tie Dress Code but also the most important piece of the tuxedo or dinner jacket ensemble. This Fort Belvedere Black Faille Bow Tie is the choice for men who have Faille or Grosgrain faced tuxedo or dinner jacket lapels. Faile is made from all silk yarns with more ends (warp yarns) than picks (weft yarns) creating a flat rib effect. The best faille is made in all silk and technically not the same as grosgrain, although these terms are often used interchangeably. Faille is unique and usually only found on bespoke garments. It has the same degree of formality as satin and is perfectly suited for ball, gala, wedding or evening events. The silk used for this faille has a double warp that is unique and hardly ever found anymore. It is very complicated and labor intensive to produce this fabric, which is why it is a bit more expensive than our satin or barathea bow ties. Of course it is a self-tie bow tie but on top of that it has an unbroken, continuous neck that is made exactly for your size so you can't see or feel any metal clasps on your collar, and that is both rare and the choice of true gentlemen.
You will not find a better black bow tie in silk faille or grosgrain anywhere else!
1. Fort Belvedere sources the luxurious silk double warp faille from a renowned Italian silk mill. 99.99% of other faille or grosgrain used for bow ties is inferior to this fabric.
2. Handmade - This bow tie is entirely made by hand with a special cotton interlining that enhances the softness of the material as well as the shape.
3. Self Tie Bow tie - Self-tie bow ties separate the gentlemen from the boys. It is essential that you know how to tie your own bow tie.
4. Fixed Size - it is very rare to find fixed sized bow ties today especially the ones that are made from a solid piece of fabric in the back, which is essential for (detachable) wing collars because you never want any clasps showing in public. Likewise, it also looks and feels better with a turndown collar. In short, a fixed size black bow tie is the way to go for gentlemen.
5. This Butterfly Bow Tie will have dimensions of approx. 4.75" by 2.5" or 12 cm by 6.5 cm.
6. This Faille is made with a double silk warp and not any cotton. This is a unique weave and very labor intensive.
A bow tie should never be tied to look perfectly symmetrical because it would look too much like a pre-tied cheap version, and who wants to look cheap? Instead, you should tie your black bow tie with a bit of wit, nonchalance or sprezzatura, meaning intentionally off-kilter with one end a little longer than the other, one side higher than the other, or a tight or a loose knot to achieve bow tie perfection.
Most bow ties suffer from poor interlining and the same boring two shapes - not so Fort Belvedere bow ties. Inspired by the glorious 1930's, this classic evening bow tie shape is one of those small details that sets the gentleman apart from the boys. It is large enough, yet not overly big, so it suits any face. This black faille silk bow tie works well with all kinds of tuxedos with a faille or grosgrain lapel, midnight blue or black tuxedo, white of off-white shirt, studs or no studs, vest or cummerbund.
Make sure to wear a boutonniere with your lack bow tie and tuxedo. Traditionally men wear roses and carnations with evening ensembles.
Simply untie your bow tie just like you would untie your shoes. Store it hanging or laying flat, it is up to you.
This bow tie comes in heavy Fort Belvedere box, perfect unadorned for a gift box, storage or travel.
If you have questions or need style advice in choosing a bow tie for yourself or someone else, let us know, we are happy to help.
SKUs: -4054956007572 -14 , -4054956007589 -14.5 , -4054956007596 -15 , -4054956007602 -15.5 , -4054956007619 -16 , -4054956007626 -16.5 , -4054956007633 -17 , -4054956007640 -17.5 , -4054956007657 -18 , -4054956007664 -18.5