The black bow tie is not just the namesake of the Black Tie Dress Code but also the most important piece of the tuxedo or dinner jacket ensemble. This Fort Belvedere Bow Tie in fine black Shantung silk is different than most evening bow ties and suited to the gentleman who already has a shantung faced dinner jacket or for someone who wants to stand out from the black tie crowd it a subtle, yet sophisticated way. You will likely not find the combination of a shantung silk bow tie with fixed neck size anywhere else in the world. Unlike most other silks, shantung has characteristic raw silk fibers which are not uniform but thicker and thinner resultung into a irregular look which is appreciated by elegant men around the globe. Of course it is a self tie bow tie but on top of that it has a an unbroken, continuous neck that is made exactly for your size so you can't see or feel any metal clasps on your collar, and that is both rare and the choice of true gentlemen.
You will not find another black bow tie in silk shantung with fixed necksizes anywhere else in the world!
1. Fort Belvedere sources the luxurious silk shantung from a renowned Italian silk mill.
2. Handmade - This bow tie is entirely made by hand with a special cotton interlining that enhances the softness of the material as well as the shape.
3. Self Tie Bow tie - Self tie bow ties separate the gentlemen from the boys. It is essential that you know how to tie your own bow tie.
4. Fixed Size - it is very rare to find fixed sized bow ties today especially the ones that are made from a solid piece of fabric in the back, which is essential for (detachable) wing collars because you never want any clasps showing in public. Likewise, it also looks and feels better with a turndown collar. In short, a fixed size black bow tie is the way to go for gentlemen.
5. This Butterfly Bow Tie will have dimensions of approx. 4.75" by 2.5" or 12 cm by 6.5 cm.
6. Shantung is rarley seen in evening wear today, but it has a long standing history. Also known as Dupioni silk, it is used for black tie outfits for custom jackets or lapel facings.
A bow tie should never be tied to look perfectly symmetrical, because it would look too much like a pre-tied cheap version, and who wants to look cheap? Instead, you should tie your black bow tie with a bit of wit, nonchalance or sprezzatura, meaning intentionally off kilter with one end a little longer than the other, one side higher than the other, or a tight or a loose knot to achieve bow tie perfection.
Most bow ties suffer from poor interlining and the same boring two shapes - not so Fort Belvedere bow ties. Inspired by the glorious 1930's, this classic evening bow tie shape is one of those small details that sets the gentleman apart from the boys. It is large enough, yet not overly big so it suits basically any face. This black shantung - Dupioni silk bow tie works well with all kinds of tuxedos with a satin, barathea, shantung or faile lapel. It is made for men who want to different in a subtle way. It looks a bit like a fine faille and is very nonchalent.
Make sure to wear a boutonniere with your lack bow tie and tuxedo. Traditionally men wear roses and carnations with evening ensembles.
Simply untie your bow tie just like you would untie your shoes. Store it hanging or laying flat, it is up to you.
This bow tie comes in heavy Fort Belvedere box, perfect unadorned for a gift box, storage or travel.
If you have questions, or need style advice in choosing a bow tie for yourself or someone else, let us know, we are happy to help.
SKUs: -4054956006674 -14 , -4054956006681 -14.5 , -4054956006698 -15 , -4054956006704 -15.5 , -4054956006711 -16 , -4054956006728 -16.5 , -4054956006735 -17 , -4054956006742 -17.5 , -4054956006759 -18 , -4054956006766 -18.5