The black bow tie is not just the namesake of the Black Tie Dress Code but also the most important piece of the tuxedo or dinner jacket ensemble.
This Fort Belvedere Black Wide Rib Grosgrain Bow Tie is the choice for men who have Faille or Grosgrain faced tuxedo or dinner jacket lapels.While we offer a fine rib as well, this bow tie comes in the wide rib grosgrain that you can sometimes see on pictures from dapper gents of the Golden Era.
This wide ribbed grosgrain has the same degree of formality as satin or fine ribbed faille but is has a three-dimensional texture and is not to be found anywhere else.
Of course it is a self-tie bow tie but on top of that it has an unbroken, continuous neck that is made exactly for your size so you can't see or feel any metal clasps on your collar, and that is both rare and the choice of true gentlemen.
If you are looking for a special black bow tie, look no further than this one.
1. One Of A Kind Wide Rib- Fort Belvedere sources the luxurious silk wide rib grosgrain from a small Italian mill, and it is the only brand that offers this kind of fabric for evening bow ties.
2. Handmade - This bow tie is entirely made by hand with a special cotton interlining that enhances the softness of the material as well as the shape.
3. Self Tie Bow tie - Self-tie bow ties separate the gentlemen from the boys. It is essential that you know how to tie your own bow tie.
4. Fixed Size - It is very rare to find fixed sized bow ties today especially the ones that are made from a solid piece of fabric in the back, which is essential for (detachable) wing collars because you never want any clasps showing in public. Likewise, it also looks and feels better with a turndown collar. In short, a fixed size black bow tie is the way to go for gentlemen.
5. Sophisticated Shape - This Butterfly Bow Tie will have dimensions of approx. 4.75" by 2.5" or 12 cm by 6.5 cm.
6. Cut diagonally On The Bias - This bow tie is cut 45º on the bias which requires more fabric but it also provides a debonair diagonal ribbed grosgrain structure, that makes you stand fro the crowd in a subtle, sophisticated way.
A bow tie should never be tied to look perfectly symmetrical because it would look too much like a pre-tied cheap version, and who wants to look cheap? Instead, you should tie your black bow tie with a bit of wit, nonchalance or sprezzatura, meaning intentionally off-kilter with one end a little longer than the other, one side higher than the other, or a tight or a loose knot to achieve bow tie perfection.
Most bow ties suffer from poor interlining and the same boring two shapes - not so Fort Belvedere bow ties. Inspired by the glorious 1930's, this classic evening bow tie shape is one of those small details that sets the gentleman apart from the boys. It is large enough, yet not overly big, so it suits any face. This black faille silk bow tie works well with all kinds of tuxedos with a faille or grosgrain lapel, especially the ones with a wide rib on a midnight blue or black tuxedo, white of off-white shirt, studs or no studs, vest or cummerbund.
However, it also works with Satin or other lapels if you simply want to change up the look of your black tie outfit.
Make sure to wear a boutonniere with your lack bow tie and tuxedo. Traditionally men wear roses and carnations with evening ensembles.
Simply untie your bow tie just like you would untie your shoes. Store it hanging or laying flat, it is up to you.
This bow tie comes in heavy Fort Belvedere box, perfect unadorned for a gift box, storage or travel.
If you have questions or need style advice in choosing a bow tie for yourself or someone else, let us know, we are happy to help.
SKUs: 4054956010336 , 4054956010329 , 4054956010312 , 4054956010305 , 4054956010299 , 4054956010978 , 4054956010961 , 4054956010954 , 4054956010947 , 4054956010930