The black bow tie is not just the namesake of the Black Tie Dress Code but also the most important piece of the tuxedo or dinner jacket ensemble.
This Fort Belvedere Black Single End Bow Tie made of Wide Rib Grosgrain silk is probably one of the rarest bow ties in the world.
Fort Belvedere is the only purveyor of quality single-end bow ties in the world and the wide rib grosgrain it likewise rare.
Thus, this single end bow tie is the choice for men who want to be unique and absolutely elegant.
This wide ribbed grosgrain has the same degree of formality as satin or fine ribbed faille but is has a three-dimensional texture and is not to be found anywhere else.
Of course it is a self-tie bow tie but on top of that it has an unbroken, continuous neck that is made exactly for your size so you can't see or feel any metal clasps on your collar, and that is both rare and the choice of true gentlemen.
If you are looking for a special black bow tie, look no further : you found it.
1. One of a kind silk. Fort Belvedere sources the luxurious silk wide ribbed grosgrain from a renowned Italian silk mill. 99.99% of other faile or grosgrain used for bow ties is inferior to this fabric. Made from all silk yarns with more ends (warp yarns) than picks (weft yarns) it is much more labor intensive and more costly to produce. The result is a flat rib effect that is adored by black tie and white tie enthusiasts because it is used for black bow ties as well as lapel facings on tuxedos and tailcoats.
2. Handmade - This bow tie is entirely made by hand with a special cotton interlining that enhances the softness of the material as well as the shape.
3. Single End Self Tie Bow Tie - Self-tie bow ties separate the gentlemen from the boys, and single end bow ties are even one step up. Only the most elegant gents of the 1920's and 1930's wore single end bow ties.
4. Fixed Size - it is very rare to find single end bow ties today, and Fort Belvedere offers the largest selection of them worldwide
5. Classic Elegance - This single end Butterfly Bow Tie will have dimensions of approx. 4.75" by 2.75" or 12 cm by 7 cm, and was designed according to true examples of bow ties from 1910s - 1930s.
A bow tie should never be tied to look perfectly symmetrical because it would look too much like a pre-tied cheap version, and who wants to look cheap? Instead, you should tie your black bow tie with a bit of wit, nonchalance or sprezzatura, meaning intentionally off-kilter with one end a little longer than the other, one side higher than the other, or a tight or a loose knot to achieve bow tie perfection.
Most bow ties suffer from poor interlining and the same boring two shapes - not so Fort Belvedere bow ties. This single end bow tie will stand on its own, and looks particularly dapper with a wing collar, but a soft turndown collar works just as fine. It is slightly smaller than our sized bow tie but still large enough to work with any face. This black silk faille single ended bow tie works well with all kinds of tuxedos with a faille or grosgrain lapel, midnight blue or black tuxedo, white of off-white shirt, studs or no studs, vest or cummerbund.
Make sure to wear a boutonniere with your black bow tie and tuxedo. Traditionally men wear roses and carnations with evening ensembles.
Simply untie your bow tie just like you would untie your shoes. Store it hanging or laying flat, it is up to you.
This bow tie comes in heavy Fort Belvedere box, perfect unadorned for a gift box, storage or travel.
If you have questions or need style advice in choosing a bow tie for yourself or someone else, let us know, we are happy to help.