Cufflinks have been the gentleman's way to close his shirt cuffs for well over a century. In the beginning, they often sat on top of the cuff, and then they moved to the bottom.
At first, they were beautifully crafted on both sides with intricate detail and often precious stones, Then snap links came along and disappeared again and T-Bar cufflinks became literally the golden standard. Not because they were beautiful or elegant but because they were easy and less expensive to produce.
We believe cufflinks are an extension of the wearer and as such, they should be classic, timeless and elegant just like the rest of his wardrobe. Therefore, we wanted to create cufflinks that were made by a true craftsman and not in a factory, with two sides and intricate details that stand the test of time.
The first series of Fort Belvedere cufflinks is modeled after the nautical monkey fist knot.
1. Handmade by a Master Goldsmith in Germany. Just like with a suit there is a huge difference if you get your jewelry made by a craftsman or at a factory. The model for these cufflinks was the monkey fist knot, and so we tied it and the goldsmith hand-carved it in wax. Subsequently, a silicon copy was made, then a form was created and then they were cast one by one, just like you would do it with a custom pair of cufflink made by a master craftsman.
2. Intricate Detail. Everything about these cufflinks shows attention to detail. Whether it's the fine deep ridges of the rope, the Fort Belvedere maker's mark in a position where it cannot be seen when worn as well as the shape and diameters. These cufflinks will not come off accidentally and are design, so they work with 99% of all double cuff shirts, without damaging the buttonhole.
3. Solid 925 Sterling Silver. Most cufflinks today are hollow, no matter whether they are made in gold, silver or other metals. At Fort Belvedere, we believe in quality, and therefore we cast them in solid 925 Sterling Silver. As soon as you hold them in your own hand, you can tell the difference from other cufflinks in your collection. With a weight of nearly 24 grams, / just under an ounce these cufflinks contain more than double the 925 Sterling silver of regular cufflinks.
4. Rose Gold Plated To Prevent Tarnishing. We wear a lot of cufflinks in Sterling Silver and Gold. These cufflinks in solid gold would cost well over $2,000. Traditionally a heavy gold plated sterling silver is called Vermeil, and that's what we wanted for these cufflinks.
Rose gold was very popular in Victorian times and so we decided to offer it. Unlike yellow gold plating, rose gold plating takes place in a hot process, meaning it develops fumes, and thus it requires special equipment. It's one of the reasons you don't rose gold often on the market today.
Of course, we plated it so heavily that the coating should never come off.
5. Perfect Classic That Goes With Everything. You'd be hard pressed to find a pair of cufflinks that is more versatile, classic and timeless than this one. You can find many knot cufflinks on the market today, in all shapes or forms, but most of them are fantasy knots, whereas these cufflinks are like the real nautical monkey fist knot. On top of that, the workmanship and detail are much more refined than on other cufflinks even if they cost a lot more. As always Fort Belvedere offers great value for the money.
Ideally, you should wear these cufflinks with rose gold trimmings, such as abelt buckle or collar pin or tie bar.
If you want to wear, gold accessories go with Gold Monkey fist knots. We offer them not just in yellow gold Vermeil but also in Rose Gold plated Sterling silver because these three colors have traditionally been the trinity of menswear jewelry colors.
Take a look at the pictures on a shirt cuff to get a good understanding of what they will look like.
Length: 32mm - 1.25"
Large Knot Diameter: about 12mm - 0.48"
Small Knot Diameter: about 10mm - 0.39"
We tested these with cuff buttonholes measuring from 13 - 19mm / 0.5" - 0.75" and they worked perfectly with all of them.
It's nice to have a complete set in you collection so you can always choose the right pair no matter if you are traveling or at home.
If you choose any 2 sets of cufflinks, get $60 off.
Choose any 3 sets of cufflinks and get $160 off. Simply add them to the cart.
These are sturdy cufflinks that are designed and made to be handed down to your children. Just wear them and enjoy.
Fine men's accessories have been our passion 1999. If you have any questions, or if you need assistance with cufflinks or other accessories, please contact us! We are always happy to help you build your wardrobe or choose a unique gift.