The black bow tie is not just the namesake of the Black Tie Dress Code but also the most important piece of the tuxedo or dinner jacket ensemble. Normally, most bow ties have two identical ends, but during the heyday of men's elegance, some particularly dapper English Gentlemen, invented the single end bow tie, which creates a superbly neat and elegant look.
This Fort Belvedere Single End Bow Tie in black silk velvet is the epitome of black tie luxury and will make you look the part on every ball, gala, wedding or evening event for a number of reasons.
Most velvets today are made of cotton, polyester or viscose, while we sourced one of the most luxurious silk velvets with a cotton backing for this bow tie.
A Single-Ended bow tie is, of course, a self-tie bow tie but on top of that it has a an unbroken, continuous neck and can be worn with any neck size so you can't see or feel any metal clasps on your collar, and that is both rare and the choice of true gentlemen. Especially, when you wear a wing collar, this is essential.
1. One Of A Kind Silk Velvet- Fort Belvedere sources the luxurious silk velvet from Italy. We tested various compositions ranging from all silk to all cotton and a silk velvet with some addition of cotton yieled the best combination of luxurious looks, sumptuous feel and durability. It is extremely difficult to find silk velvet these days as it is very expensive. Thus viscose and cotton are used instead. This is truly a one of a kind velvet that is rich and thick and the light sparkles are magnificent especially in the evening.
2. Handmade - This bow tie is entirely made by hand with a special cotton interlining that enhances the softness of the material as well as the shape. Because this silk velvet is so thick and of high quality, it is difficult to create self bow ties out of it without destroying them because they are sewn inside out. We were able to locate skilled artisans in England who are now sewing these bow ties for us.
3. Single End Self Tie Bow tie - Self-tie bow ties separate the gentlemen from the boys, and single end bow ties are even one step up. Because this velvet is quite thick a single end bow tie is the perfect choice, unless you like very voluminous bow ties.
4. Fixed Size - It is very rare to find fixed sized bow ties today especially the ones that are made from a solid piece of fabric in the back, which is essential for (detachable) wing collars because you never want any clasps showing in public. You will not find a better selection of single end bow ties anywhere else on the planet!
How To find the right size? The single end bow tie works for any size neck, so buy with confidence.
5. Sophisticated Shape - This single end Butterfly Bow Tie will have dimensions of approx. 4.75" by 2.75" or 12 cm by 7 cm, and was designed according to true examples of bow ties from 1910s - 1930s.
You will not find a better single end bow tie in velvet anywhere else!
A bow tie should never be tied to look perfectly symmetrical because it would look too much like a pre-tied cheap version, and who wants to look cheap? Instead, you should tie your black bow tie with a bit of wit, nonchalance or sprezzatura, meaning intentionally off-kilter with one end a little longer than the other, one side higher than the other, or a tight or a loose knot to achieve bow tie perfection.
Most bow ties suffer from poor interlining and the same boring two shapes - not so Fort Belvedere bow ties. Inspired by the glorious 1930's, this classic evening bow tie shape is one of those small details that sets the gentleman apart from the boys. It is large enough, yet not overly big, so it suits any face. This black velvet bow tie works well with all kinds of dinner jackets, especially velvet ones, but you can also wear it with a regular tuxedo in black or off white dinner jacket no matter if the lapel is lined with satin, grosgrain or barathea.
Make sure to wear a boutonniere with your lack bow tie and tuxedo. Traditionally men wear roses and carnations with evening ensembles.
Simply watch this step by step video guide here. The video is also available on this page, simply click on the thumbnail of 3 advanced ways to tie a bow tie.
Simply untie your bow tie just like you would untie your shoes. Store it hanging or laying flat, it is up to you.
This bow tie comes in heavy Fort Belvedere box, perfect unadorned for a gift box, storage or travel.