The white bow tie is not just the namesake of the White Tie Dress Code but also one of the most defining element of a formal tailcoat evening full fig outfit.
This Fort Belvedere White Marcella Pique Bow Tie is the number one choice for elegant men who want to look particularly dapper no matter if it is an Opera premiere, a wedding or a noble prize dinner.
Normally, most bow ties have two identical ends, but during the heyday of men's elegance, some particularly dapper English Gentlemen, invented the single end bow tie, which creates a superbly neat and elegant look.
When you look at photographs of 1920's and 1930's dinner parties you will notice that many men preferred a small bow tie rather than a big one, and for that very reason we decided to offer a small Single End Bow Tie In Satin as well.
You will not find a sized white Marcella Piqué bow tie in this small shape and quality anywhere else. If you prefer a single end bow tie in a larger shape, click here. If you prefer a smaller bow, this is the right one for you.
1. Quality Cotton Marcella Pique from Italy- Fort Belvedere sources this luxurious and three-dimensional cotton pique from a very small family owned Italian mill. It will work with your white tie vest and bib front shirt.
2. Handmade - This bow tie is entirely made by hand, so it is as delicate as possible.
3. Self-Tie Bow tie - Self-tie bow ties separate the gentlemen from the boys. It is essential that you know how to tie your bow tie. We provide video instructions on how to tie them for beginners and advanced connoisseurs.
4. Fixed Size - It is very rare to find fixed sized bow ties today especially the ones that are made from a solid piece of fabric in the back, which is essential for (detachable) wing collars because you never want any clasps showing in public. Unlike black tie, the only correct collar for white tie is a wing collar, and so you need a sized bow tie. In short, this fixed size white bow tie is the way to go for gentlemen.
5. Sophisticated Shape - This Butterfly Bow Tie will have dimensions of approx. 3.65" by 1.75" or 9.25 cm by 4.5 cm.
6. Small Single End Self-Tie Bow Tie - Self-tie bow ties separate the gentlemen from the boys, and single end bow ties are even one step up. The smaller size of this bow tie makes it the perfect piece of neckwear for short or slim men as well as people who like smaller bow ties.
A bow tie should never be tied to look perfectly symmetrical because it would look too much like a pre-tied cheap version, and who wants to look cheap? Instead, you should tie your black bow tie with a bit of wit, nonchalance or sprezzatura, meaning intentionally off-kilter with one end a little longer than the other, one side higher than the other, or a tight or a loose knot to achieve bow tie perfection.
Most bow ties suffer from poor interlining and the same boring two shapes - not so Fort Belvedere bow ties. This single end bow tie will stand on its own, and looks particularly dapper with a wing collar, but a soft turndown collar works just as fine. It is slightly smaller than our sized bow tie but still large enough to work with any face. This black silk satin single ended bow tie works well with all kinds of tuxedos with a satin lapel, midnight blue or black tuxedo, white of off-white shirt, studs or no studs, vest or cummerbund.
Make sure to wear a boutonniere with your white bow tie and tailcoat. Traditionally men wear roses and carnations with evening ensembles but other flowers like a cornflower might work as well. The decision what to wear is up to you but you must wear a boutonniere with white tie.
Simply untie your bow tie just like you would untie your shoes. Store it hanging or laying flat, it is up to you.
This bow tie comes in heavy Fort Belvedere box, perfect unadorned for a gift box, storage or travel.
If you have questions or need style advice in choosing a bow tie for yourself or someone else, let us know, we are happy to help.