Undershirts for Men

Undershirts For Men – To Wear or Not to Wear an Undershirt

When the 25 Tips to Dress More Elegantly was published, a lively discussion evolved around whether or not to wear an undershirt. Therefore, today’s post is dedicated to undershirts, starting with the historic evolution of underwear, outlining the different undershirt options and discussing the pros and cons of wearing one beneath a dress shirt.

The History of the Undershirt

The Evolution of Clothes & Undergarments

In order to understand the history of the undershirt, it is essential to grasp the purpose of clothing in general. Looking back in history, it is very difficult to find paintings, illustrations or photographs of underwear that predate the 20th century because they were never to be seen in public. Exposing one’s undergarment back then had about the same effect as exposing yourself in public has today.

Throughout the evolution of clothes, one can observe basically two schools of thought. On the one hand, the church understands clothes and undergarments to be a means of covering up people’s sense of shame. Even the bible implies that Adam and Eve wore a fig leave because of it. On the other hand, sociological and anthropological studies have shown that clothes and in fact any form of accessories were worn to make oneself as attractive as possible for mating purposes.

Napoleaon's Shirt which was only worn as an undershirt with extremely fine hand stitching

Napoleaon’s Shirt which was only worn as an undershirt. Extremely fine hand stitching

The Purpose of Underwear

Originally, undergarments were not really designed to protect the body from the elements or to add another layer of insulation. Instead, their purpose was to protect the outer layer of garments from touching the body, especially since regular bathing did not become du rigeur until the 18th century. At the same time, undergarments protected the wearer’s skin from the scratchy outerwear. This was, of course, primarily true for the rich and noble. The working class were lucky to have a single shirt, as textiles were expensive, laborious and precious goods.

Men's Union Suit from Sears Catalog

Men’s Union Suit from Sears Catalog

The Undershirt Evolves

By the 15th century, young men of nobility began to wear at least part of their shirts exposed and while there was some criticism, the trend of exposing ones shirt to the public prevailed over time. After a while even respectable men in society would show more of their decorative shirts, such as revealing collars and cuffs. Up until the end of the 19th century, you’d never see much of a shirt than the cuffs and collars, which is why detachable collars and cuffs were invented. That way only the visible parts had to be washed consistently. To this point what we know as a dress shirt today would have been strictly considered an undershirt! While a gentleman would only wear a shirt without additional undershirt, the poor working class and peasants would sometimes wear a tunic that later developed into the sleeveless undershirt as we know it today. Usually it was made of wool or flannel to keep them warm. On the other hand, if a gentleman was too cold, he would wear more overgarments, but he would not add a layer beneath. In the US, the so called Union Suit was an overall-style undergarment that was patented in 1868. Although first worn by women, it was later adapted by men as well, though it was always associated with a working, more rural demographic, rather than elegant men.

At the beginning of the 20th century, soldiers would often wear undergarments to protect their uniforms from dirt and in hot climates it was more comfortable to just wear the undershirt. In 1934, the always elegant Clark Gable revealed in the film It Happened One Night that he did not wear an undershirt. Legend has it, undershirt sales in the US dropped by 75%. Apparently it took until WWII for sales of undershirts to recover and then, soldiers wore them on their own as a form of outerwear. While it was considered to be poor taste in the beginning, by the fifties Hollywood stars such as Marlon Brando would wear them in public and so the T-Shirt as we know it today became a success.

In a nutshell, historically only members of working class wore undershirts as we know them today.

Undershirt Styles Today

Today, you can find all kinds of undershirts, ranging from the classic sleeveless shirt (sometimes also referred to as a tank top, or if white and ribbed, a  wife beater) over T-Shirt all the way to “performance shirts” that make comfort claims. In the following, we’ll discuss the details of each style. Two important aspects of all undershirts are their color and their fit.

1. Undershirt Color

Forget white. In an ideal world, your undershirt should match the color of your skin. This may seem odd at first but even underneath a white shirt, a skin-colored undershirt will be less visible than a plain white T-shirt, especially in the areas between skin and T-shirt around your biceps and collar. Unfortunately, skin tones vary greatly and so there is no easy way to buy skin colored shirts. Although there are now a few companies like Sloane Men or Albert Kreuz who offer “invisible” undershirts, we have an old theater and film trick for you that is very inexpensive:

Sloane Men Invisible Undershirts

Sloane Men Invisible Undershirts

How to make a skin-colored shirt yourself

1. Take a pure cotton undershirt.
  2. Brew some strong black tea.
  3. Then put the shirt in the solution in a basin (you don’t want to stain your sink), and let it soak for a about 15 minutes.
  4. Finally, just rinse off the excess, and the shirt will have a color value very similar to that of bare Caucasian skin – and the stain will be relatively permanent. Of course, it goes without saying that you should not bleach the shirt.
  5. Unfortunately, that only works for a small range of skin tones. In that case, a color close to your skin tone is much better than white or all black if you decide to wear an undershirt.

2. Undershirt Fit

If you decide to wear an undershirt, make sure it fits closely and has small armholes, otherwise you may feel rather uncomfortable and constricted in your movement.

Marlon Brando in test shot for A Streetcar Named Desire wearing a sleeveless wife beater undershirt 1950

Marlon Brando in test shot for A Streetcar Named Desire wearing a sleeveless wife beater undershirt, 1950

Sleeveless Undershirts

You can get white sleeveless undershirts pretty much anywhere, rather inexpensively. They are usually made out of 100% cotton or cotton/poly blend with a fine ribbed look. Many men still wear them today for work as an undershirt and some even wear them to the gym because they like the increased range of movement. Worn under shirts, you can usually see the outline of it even if you wear a jacket and if you take it off, it becomes even more apparent that you are wearing one. Functionally, if you use undershirts to absorb sweat then this style doesn’t work too well because your armpits aren’t really covered.

It might be a classic in many men’s wardrobes and your grandfather might have worn them religiously, but in terms of style and functionality, it leaves a lot to be desired, which is why I don’t wear them at all.

Black undershirt - not recommended

Black undershirt – not recommended

Crew Neck & V-Neck T-Shirts

Most men who wear undershirts today, either go with a classic crew neck or v-neck t-shirt. Plain white shirts are available everywhere and even solid colored versions can be found easily. Just like the sleeveless shirts, they usually come in pure cotton or poly blends, though lately there have been all kinds of cotton blends with spandex, viscose, modal, etc. Usually the goal of these additions is to either make the shirts softer or more durable, but they generally come with a higher price tag.

The crew neck has the issue of a high neckline which forces you to wear your shirt buttoned at all times because a shirt with T-shirt showing looks really disadvantageous. Hence, some many men switched to deep V-neck T-shirts hoping that would rectify the neckline issue. However, I can usually see whether a man wears a T-shirt underneath his dress shirt even if it is buttoned all the way and he has a jacket on. However, if you go jacketless, you can generally see where the T-shirt ends which looks rather undesirable. So if you take your jackets off, these T-shirts won’t work, and even if you don’t chances are one can still see the hems through the dress shirt.

For that reason, some men wear longsleeved undershirts however, they really make you feel warm and chances are, you will sweat more especially during the summer.

Performance Underwear

In the last few years, many sports outfitters have come up with all kinds of artificial fibers that are supposed to transport the moisture away from you body and make you feel dryer. When you are going for a hike, down the slopes or rafting, these are totally fine but they are really ill-suited as an undershirt for a dress shirt because they often come in patterns, bright colors and always with a contrasting logo that will be visible through your shirt.

Undershirts are visible underneath a shirt

Undershirts are visible underneath a shirt

Should You Wear an Undershirt or Not ?

Now, you may wonder whether you should wear an undershirt at all, and I think that depends on a number of factors.

Pros:

1. If you sweat profusely so that your jackets show it, wearing an undershirt might help make it less obvious
  2. With stiff fronted evening shirts, undershirts can help avoid chafed skin
  3. If you are always cold and you’d like an extra layer of cloth to stay warmer, an undershirt will help
  4. Undershirts can keep ample chest hair from poking through the surface of the shirt

Cons:

1. Historically, we have outlined above that elegant men did not wear an additional undergarment under their shirts.
  2. In terms of comfort, not wearing an undershirt should reduce the feeling of constriction that can come with wearing multiple, similarly shaped layers.
  3. Furthermore, the extra layer of cloth is usually undesirable in the summer and an undershirt will show clearly through an open-weave shirt regardless of color
  4. Cold in the winter? A heavy weight shirt fabric is an excellent alternative to adding an undershirt layer
  5. Proponents of undershirts sometimes argue that it is more hygienic to wear undershirts however, if you shower regularly and wash your dress shirts after they are worn, you should have absolutely no problem
  6. In my experience, my shirts last for a long time and I have yet to find any evidence that an undershirt will prolong the life of one’s dress shirt
  7. Finally, almost all elegant men I know – including Clark Gable, G. Bruce Boyer and Herbert Stricker - do not wear undershirts underneath their dress shirts

What do you think about the matter? Do you wear an undershirt or not and why do you do so? Please leave a comment below!

1. Pete
    Pete says:

There is another issue. I’m a Caucasian guy but I have – excuse me for over sharing – dark skin on my nipples. Generally with a lighter shirt – white or light blue – you can see them through the shirt. Not a good look at all.

Early in my banking career we had a HR person give us a talk on dress requirements and she said “Gentlemen, if you have dark nipples then wear an undershirt or a vest or leave your jacket on. Nipples showing through your shirt is not a good look and you don’t want your boss asking you to go out and buy an undershirt!”

Ever since then I’ve worn one!!

2. suede
    suede says:

As far as I can see, the sensible question here can only be, “Should I wear an /invisible/ undershirt or not?” For visible undershirts, after all, there isn’t really any question. They are tasteless and beyond the pale (notwithstanding countless Americans and Europeans who often even seem to want to show their white T-shirts underneath their shirts).

Regarding truly invisible under-T-shirts: Yes, why should I not wear them. For me, it’s a purely thermoregulatory thing.

I once made a considerable effort to create a stack of elastic, deep-V-neck T-shirts coloured in my natural skin tone. I use these underneath my shirts in cold months. And the cold months clearly outnumber the warm months where I live.

I’m glad I have them when it’s cold. A heavy shirt fabric just won’t give you that extra warmth you want to have in badly or unevenly heated rooms in the wintertime.

If one custom-dyes the undershirts in one’s own skin tone, has them tailored to a well-proportioned torso and makes sure the V neck is deep enough to remain invisible with the top shirt button(s) open, then they certainly don’t look tasteless to whoever gets to see them once one takes one’s shirt off (in case that is the main concern). They rather look like somebody’s taking care of himself.

It’s an important menswear topic, though. Somewhat underrated.
    Thanks for the dye tip. I’ll experiment with black tea soon.

• Sven Raphael Schneider
      Sven Raphael Schneider says:

That’s certainly a lot of effort. personally, I’d always opt to keep on my jacket or add a vest in a cold room, but each to his own. I’d love to see your self dyed undershirts. Would you mind sharing? We could add a paragraph about it to this article.

3. suede
    suede says:

PS: I must protest against the generalizing caption under the last photo which reads, “Undershirts are visible underneath a shirt”. That’s precisely the point: if they were, then they would be out of the question. But they can be invisible. You acknowledge that yourself earlier in the blog post and three photos earlier…

• Sven Raphael Schneider
      Sven Raphael Schneider says:

Even if you get the “invisible undershirts shirts” they are not 100% invisible, which is why I put them in quotation marks. The result is much better with a shirt in your skin color but not 100%.

4. Wineaux
    Wineaux says:

Personally, I do not wear an undershirt. I do not see the point: it just adds bulk. I would like to observe the irony that when a man dresses for a special occassion, he adds more and more garments, e.g., pants, shirt, jacket, underwear, socks, etc. By contrast, when a woman dresses, the number of garments might be kept to a minimum, e.g., a dress, optionally, underwear. Just saying.

5. Dominik Caba
    Dominik Caba says:

For many years I hated the white T- shirt under a shirt and I still dislike the look coupled with certain shirts… That said I often used those classic ribbed shirts or T- shirts as additional layer on cold days ( no reason why this should be a non elegant thing as they are invisible then, especially if your shirt is buttoned up)… And for the classic Ivy League Look (not the rubbish “Preppy Look” a la Tommy Hilfiger) – a look that isn’t very “elegant”, but without a doubt very influential and classic (think of the time when Jazz Cats like Miles Davies had style) it is a “must” to wear a plain white T under an Oxford Cloth Button Down, especially when worn casual… The ever well dressed Anthony Perkins or Even Montgomery Clift and Paul Newman did that with great effect. Not to forget Steve McQueen…

• Sven Raphael Schneider
      Sven Raphael Schneider says:

Thanks Dominik, would you mind sharing a few pictures of the people showing how it’s worn. I don’t think Oxford Cloth Button Down requires a T-shirt – where did you get that from? That aside, best regards to Austria. How did you hear about Sanders and how do you like their boots?

6. josh
    josh says:

Yes, I do wear undershirts, but not to work. A wife beater is always good for a sex club, but not for work in the lattitude where I live.

7. w. adam mandelbaum esq.
    w. adam mandelbaum esq. says:

Perhaps the only excuse for a t-shirt, is to prevent a white dress shirt from getting prematurely stained under the arms. And that is insufficient excuse for a clothes wearing man. One can always buy another white shirt. The subject matter of the t-shirt is rather dandily handled in The Dandy Peacock or Enigma which is recommended to all. The opinion of that wonderful tome regarding the T-Shirt is decidedly pollice verso.

8. Paul Pinkham
    Paul Pinkham says:

I live in a climate where the temperature can vary from 100+ to 0, with varying degrees of humidity. I have a brief walk to the subway. It’s just long enough in the summer months for me to perspire all the way through my shirts, especially the solid blue ones. On goes the “invisible” slim fitting deep v neck or crew neck, to hide this act of nature. The biggest problem is the difficulty finding these undershirts, especially in a fine weave. The fine weave works better in both summer and winter months. I seem to be forced to go online to the manufacturer to get them. Pity, more people would benefit from them if they were more readily available.

9. nik Ismail almurtadza
    nik Ismail almurtadza says:

I wear them every day.The tropical heat requires you to wear to prevent sweats from sticking to the back of your shirt and suit jacket.You may ask’is it not hot “?.Malaysia is always hot,but it is comfortable in the air conditioned office.

Nik

• Sven Raphael Schneider
      Sven Raphael Schneider says:

Interesting. Tropical climates are definitely different. At the end of the day, it’s all about testing and finding out what works for you. I plan to add all of these examples later to produce a better article. Thanks for sharing!

10. Daniel
    Daniel says:

I wear undershirts only because I hate deodorant stains. Especially on my nice collard shirts. Perhaps I should switch deodorants… Great post, I’ll try out the black tea idea soon!

11. Keith Spon Hanneford
    Keith Spon Hanneford says:

Tee shirts are simple garments and can look great when worn by guys with the right shape…..
    sadly they are frequently worn by guys who mistakenly think that they are the right shape.
    The saddest sight in the world is a tee shirt streched over a pot belly!

12. Dominik Caba
    Dominik Caba says:

Thank you for your reply… I am on holiday at the moment, so my access to the world wide web is limited through my smartphone :) I will reply when I am back at home and have access to my desktop computer next week. Best regards, Dominik

13. Kurt
    Kurt says:

Greetings all, as usual great article, thanks. I wear an undershirt, usually v-neck, every day. Living in Queensland Australia it gets very hot and humid. The one thing I cannot stand is seeing large visible wet sweat marks under the arms often creeping out to be visble even with arms down. I have found the undershirt pretty much eliminates this problem.

I also find the undershirt gives me a sense of comfort, almost the putting on armour thing. The snug feeling around my body adds a degree of comfort and security as the outer shirt does not stick to the skin when sweaty and moves about you freely. In my opinion this keeps you looking sharp all day.

Undershirts I have found also protect your shirts and jackets from deodorant marks. I don’t know about others but I do invest a lot of money on quality business shirts. I want to protect them. I have some Brioni and Canali shirts I bought in the late nineties, they are still in excellent condition and are worn quite regularly. I have also found that fragrences tend to last much longer wearing an undershirt whilst not being overpowering. This has past the most stringent tests… Positive comments from women I do not know…

14. Cody Jackson
    Cody Jackson says:

I’m in the military and we are required to wear undershirts. During the summer, I have found the most comfortable ones to be polyester or a cotton/poly blend, heavy on the poly. The polyester helps absorb sweat and keeps the shirt from sticking to me. I’ve even started wearing a polyester shirt under a normal cotton undershirt when I have to wear cammies; a black poly shirt is nearly invisible when worn with a colored cotton shirt but still provides the same level of comfort. Needless to say, polyester underwear is great as well.

The Japanese have a wide variety of “summer wear” undershirts, ranging from polyester and poly blends to moisture-wicking cotton. These are all superior to the regular cotton undershirts normally available. If you prefer to wear undershirts, or are required to, I recommend looking into polyester; you don’t have to get sport-grade shirts anymore.

15. Kolja
    Kolja says:

Thanks for this very nice article. Well discussed valuable topic. Just my two cents:
    I never ever wear regular t-shirts below a dress shirt. But in the colder months, being many in Hamburg, I wear Albert Keuzer invisible shirts with deep v-neck. They definitely are invisible in combination with most shirts and hold back sweat effectively (until a certain degree at least). One of the best founds in regards of my wardrobe I did in a long time.
    In summer months like now I mostly don’t use them as it is too warm. Then it is really important to use a deodorant that in combination with sweat doesn’t impact the shirt, correct!

16. Jean
    Jean says:

I always thought the real gentleman wears waistcoats and braces and never ever takes off his jacket. So undershirts will stay invisible: Problem solved. Not many men wear a waistcoat at all times anymore but even if they were, you can still sew the neckline as shown in the picture.

17. P J Weatherby
    P J Weatherby says:

Great article Mr. Schneider,
    whenever I consider myself getting properly dress I indeed do wear an undershirt(and this is not to imply that not wearing one means not being properly dress)and certainly it’s comes down too a matter of one’s preference….however in your follow-up article on undershirts can you inform your readers if there is any undershirt being manufactured out of breathable materials that pulls the body sweat away from the body while at the same time keeping the body cool, with today’s technology I can’t imagine why not? Thanks for the informative article.

P J Weatherby

18. Pierre
    Pierre says:

Wearing a dress shirt without an undershirt is a matter of personal preference. I feel like pro-undershirt people look down way too much on us. I do recognize my responsibility to make sure no nipple or chest hair is visible and that sweat marks don’t ruin my nice dress shirts. But you don’t need to wear an undershirt to stop these. A dress shirt with a higher price range will resist longer to sweat stains and in many cases come in thicker material so no nipple or chest hair will show. You don’t need to own any undershirt in this case.

By my experience, an undershirt does absorb sweat HOWEVER, this creates a sweat trap on you. Your sweat doesn’t dry up where as when you have no undershirt on you have more air circulation and therefore getting you dry faster, especially when you enter an air conditioned building. So don’t panic when you have no undershirt on and start sweating. You probably will find yourself in an air conditioned building in no time :-) Sweat-phobia needs to stop.

Besides, if you are a single guy at a wedding or a fancy party dancing the night off, the single ladies love the no undershirt look.

19. Peter
    Peter says:

Sven – you seem to have missed my comment. No one wants to see your nipples through your shirt so for me an undershirt/singlet is a necessity! It’s too hot in summer to wear a jacket or vest and I don’t want my nipples on display. Therefore I have to wear an undershirt or singlet.

Not trying to grandstand or over share. To me it’s a very valid reason and one no-one has ever mentioned in all of the to wear or not to wear an undershirt discussion. I’m a conservative dresser anyway but there really is no other option for me.

Cheers,

Peter

20. R. Scott Purdy
    R. Scott Purdy says:

My perspective is that shirts – all shirts – are undergarments. Except when engaged in a hot weather casual sporting activity, I always wear an over garment. For business attire I regularly wear both a waistcoat and jacket. In casual situations I remove the jacket – but the waistcoat is not removed in public. A gentleman does not appear in public in his undergarments.
    Consequently, I rarely wear a second undergarment under my dress shirt, and then only in the coldest of weather.

21. Th. Pirani
    Th. Pirani says:

One point that has not been mentioned is that a white undershirt makes your shirt look whiter. I decidedly dislike white shirts of thin fabric through which one can see the skin. A white (!) undershirt, of course longsleeved and with a crew neck, prevents that unfortunate look and makes your shirt look properly white. On the downside, you have to keep your shirt buttoned up and wear a tie in order to keep the undershirt invisible. If one wants to wear a shirt of very thin fabric – which I can’t quite understand – then I think one should wear an undershirt. Skin-coloured undershirts prevent hair showing through, which is good, but cannot prevent light wheight shirts looking slightly pink.

I really enjoy your articles – thank you for all your effort!

Greetings from Switzerland

Th. Pirani

22. barak
    barak says:

Gray tees are virtually invisible when worn under most dress shirts (much less visible than white tees), and don’t require home dyeing. I generally wear a light heather-gray tees under most of my dress shirts, with a sufficiently deep v-neck that even when worn with the top dress-shirt button undone, the tee doesn’t show.

23. Kory
    Kory says:

I was raised that it is proper to wear one with a dress shirt. That is probably from my father having been in the army in the 50′s but the habit has stuck. Later in life, I found that it helps hide the youthful indulgence in getting tattoos as I have had comments made when the white dress shirt clung to my ink and it showed through, wearing a white tee shirt underneath solves that issue.

24. Kurt
    Kurt says:

Hi Raphael, just on wearing perfume / fragrence on the neck… When speaking to the kind folk at Floris in London and the Chanel girls at our local boutique the advise given was to never place fragrence on the neck as the alcohol and oils can dry out the neck as it is exposed to air and makes the neck area all pruneish and aged. It can also visably discolour the neck parts of shirts or jackets. Their suggestion is after bathing apply a small amount of unscented body moisturiser to the chest and abdomen area, leave 10ish min and apply fragrence. I have found this to be extremely successful, even in hot humid weather, with fragrence lasting much longer then you would expect. The undershirt, in my experience, kind of locks the fragrence scent in close to the body and as you sweat absorbers into the shirt. Because the undershirt remains warm it releases the fragrence quite nicely. I know that often when ironing my undershirts you get beautiful scents of residual fragrence steaming up.

Regards

25. Alexandr Cave
    Alexandr Cave says:

It is interesting how much the discussion involves the niceties of wearing an undershirt or not. Surely personal preference, circumstance and hygiene gives the answer to the individual.

What is interesting is how tolerances have changed in recent decades. If we remember that the shirt itself (not the undershirt) is really underwear, the only parts intended to be visible being collar and cuff, why do we not think it odd for TV presenters to appear on our screens with shirt sleeves and braces (suspenders) on show? Is this not the same action as coming into the studio wearing just socks and boxer-shorts?

26. Zayed Alabsi
    Zayed Alabsi says:

The choices in materials and colors today is wide there is no excuse not to wear an undershirt. I prefer a thin layered none stretch 100% cotton. It must be a snug fit I don’t like them loose. Most importantly I try to always match my undershirts to the color of my shirt. If the shirt is stripped , then I try to match the lighter shade of color. This method I feel brings out the color of the shirt and makes the shirt technically invisible. Perhaps the only time I would go without an undershirt, is that if I was wear a double ply shirt.

I hate plain white shirts in general, and would almost never attempt to wear one unless I had too!

27. shono
    shono says:

hey what about these guys over at http://www.ministryofsupply.com/
    they got some pretty cool technical material to help regulate body temp (NASA tech) and wick sweat easily, have yet to try their gear though, they have undershirts as well.
    im a heavy sweater and enjoy walking so will be looking into the MOS shirts fa sure, cotton don’t help

28. Ginger
    Ginger says:

Hi guys,
    I personally like to ware undershirts in the winter under regular clothes but never under Shirts when combined with a suit. And I prefer my undershirts from Zimmerli who, in my opinion, manufacture the best underware available. They have different styles and they are all of excellent Quality!
    Solong
    Ginger

29. RODNEY L. WALKER
    RODNEY L. WALKER says:

Interesting discussion on undershirts. The climate (mid-Atlantic, U.S.) and being in the military make wearing undershirts second nature for me. I’ve always wondered how to minimize the silouette they create though. I do sweat a lot and there was a day when, in a pinch, I wore a new, microfabric undershirt I’d purchased for the gym under a dress shirt. I did sweat, and I liked the way it “wicked” the sweat away from me as it’s designed to do during exercise. I have problems with stains in the armpits, collars, and cuffs. Any “sweaters’ know how to keep your collars and cuffs stain free?

About 9 years ago, my 17 year old son asked if he could borrow one of my “wife beaters”. I’d never heard the term before and asked him what he meant. When he explained it to me, I must’ve laughed all day. It still strikes me as a hilarious reference and I was surprised to see it here. Apparently the womenfolk haven’t yet gotten up in arm’s about it in these politically correct times.

30. tug
    tug says:

hey there gentlemen!

great discussion going on here about undershirts!

sven shared this article with me and i decided to publish an article about it, and share some additional thoughts about wearing/not wearing undershirts.

here’s the article:

i definitely agree that it seems to boil down to personal preference, but if you wear one, the rule-of-thumb is to ensure your undershirt does not show.

this can be done via an undershirt with collar line that cannot be seen though your outer shirt (i.e. deeper v-neck), a neutral colored undershirt (heather grey, body-colored), or no undershirt at all.

for many, i suppose they feel that so as long as the undershirt is thin, fitted, and cool-wearing — if it doesn’t show, it’s a fine item to wear as it will protect the outer layer from sweat, body oils, colognes/perfumes, and deodorant marks.

for those that don’t wear undershirts — that’s cool too. i do believe, it’s a matter of personal preference.

this is a great discussion, and one that i’m very happy that sven surfaced.

31. Thomas
    Thomas says:

Whether or not to wear an undershirt and the style that you select are very much a personal preference. I always wear an A-shirt even though it is sometimes visible through my dress shirt. Quite honestly, the comfort factor is more important to me and I am never self conscious about wearing an A-shirt. Because I perspire more in the chest and back areas, this style of undershirt provides the protection that I desire. We have choices because there is not a type that fits everyone’s preference.

32. Germán Rico
    Germán Rico says:

Absolutely delightful read your post especially because just a few weeks ago a friend and I discuss the matter. He maintained to wear a shirt underneath was unsightly, he said.. if the shirt is visible looks awful… and some cases is true but in my case most of the time the shirt labels despite being a good brand hurt my skin or is simply unbearable.

Now I try not to use shirt underneath but sometimes the neck label just killing me. Why do you think that some manufactures put so many labels or even why use so harsh materials? and if you try to remove it you damage the stitching neck. I have a beutiful TH shirt that I could not use it again for this reason.

The english is not my native language so I hope you can understand my “english”. Great website, great publications. Greetings from Bogotá.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] have come a long way since they evolved from an undergarment, and today they are often worn as a statement piece in their own right. If you want a quality shirt […]