10 things men wear that women hate

10 Things That Men Wear That Women Hate

Basically, it’s all about mistakes in men’s appearances and it comes down to two big points. By the way, this list was created by my wife and business partner. She consulted with a bunch of women and ultimately created it so don’t take it just from me but from an educated classy woman.

Cries For Attention

Avoid wearing flashy suits

Avoid wearing flashy suits

Douchebag Professional

The douchebag pro is a guy who has achieved some success in his career, and he wants to show the world what big of a fish he is, at the end of the day, it’s a man who dresses simply to try to impress other people with his wealth.

Let’s start by saying that wearing things merely to get attention, he’s usually quite transparent because you wear big logos, you wear flashy big things, maybe diamonds, maybe a big watch, or strong colors in pink, and it’s just a very transparent thing and it will always show that you’re just trying too hard.

The bad news is classy women don’t look for someone who is insecure and constantly needs attention instead, they want someone who is steadfast and at ease with themselves and has developed their own style.

The Show-Off category

The Show-Off category

The Show-Off

The second type who always cries for attention is the man who unbuttons the dress shirt past the second button. Sometimes all the way down to the belly button. Chances are they like to have a tan, maybe lots of gold jewelry, and sometimes it’s simply there to show off maybe their six-pack, or their style. Again, it’s over the top and it’s really there to gather attention.

The Gaudy Category

The Gaudy Category

The Gaudy

Just like the douchebag professional, the guy who’s into flashy brands defines himself all about the brand. It’s not so much about the quality or the history about it, it’s all about that price tag and what is perceived when you wear it.

You probably see them wearing huge Burberry patterns, maybe they have Goyard purses or something that can be easily spotted from yards away. It’s simply tacky and not something a classy woman would like.

The Fashion Obsessed Category

The Fashion Obsessed Category

The Fashion-Obsessed

That means, they either have super short pants, super tight pants, maybe they wear a beanie with everything, or have super distressed jeans, and they always have the newest thing and the latest thing, the biggest phone, the whatever is the newest and latest.

Very few women find these cries of attention attractive because they make you look like you care more about how you’re perceived than about her and that’s always a bad thing. Yes, you shouldn’t be sloppy and you should care about the way you look because it has a huge impact.

Laziness

No woman wants to be embarrassed by her partner especially if she pays attention to the way she looks. If you make wardrobe choices that are lazy, it just shows that you don’t care and it makes you a less attractive to them.

Items That Scream Laziness

statement shirts are definitely not dapper

statement shirts are definitely not dapper

T-Shirts

Even if you think they fit well chances are, they don’t. Even if you have a really strong v-shape and you’re very muscular, it can look attractive but at the same time, there are other garments such as a polo shirt, or a dress shirt, that make you even more attractive.

So if it can be more attractive, why would you consciously choose to be less attractive by wearing a t-shirt? It makes zero sense. In any case, if you wear a t-shirt underneath a sweater or a dress shirt and it’s visible, it’s a style faux pas.

The perfect example of how a backpack can ruin your look

The perfect example of how a backpack can ruin your look

Backpack

It’s something you wear maybe on an expedition or something that you wore when you were a little schoolboy, but if you’re a man with a backpack, it just signals it’s an immature man and that’s not very attractive.

Baseball cap looks off

Baseball cap looks off

Baseball Hat

Yes, it may be practical and you don’t have to wash your hair and put it on, but it makes you look like a college pro rather than a mature man and therefore, you should upgrade. If you want to wear a hat, think about maybe a fedora, maybe a flat cap, but a baseball cap is always wrong.

Ralph Lauren Wimbledon Jersey Polo Shirt

Ralph Lauren Wimbledon Jersey Polo Shirt

Sporty Garments

There’s a place and a time for athletic wear but it’s not in public. When you’re in a social setting, it makes you look like all you want is personal comfort without actually thinking about your outward appearance.

tight on all the wrong places

Tight on all the wrong places

Ill-Fitting Clothes

That could be a jacket that’s either way too big or way too tight, or maybe if the sleeves are too short or too long because it shows that you didn’t pay attention and that you didn’t go to an alterations tailor and made an effort. The same is true if you wear shirt collars that are way too big, maybe clothing that is stained, or ties from the 90s that were maybe handed down from you or at least they looked like they were.

One of the things that scream laziness the most in terms of fit is probably pants that are too long. I see it day in and day out where men have jeans or other pants that are simply way too long especially in the US. Because of that, I suggest you always go to an alteration tailor. It costs just a few bucks and it really helps you to look dapper. To learn more about how pants should fit, please check out this video.

flip flops break your entire outfit

flip flops break your entire outfit

Flip-Flops

Now, I can see if you are at the beach, maybe at a pool, it’s perfectly fine to wear them, but if you wear them just to walk around or hang out with your friends, it’s a certain element of laziness because you can’t be bothered to put on socks and a nice pair of shoes.

hoodie

hoodie

Hoodies

They scream laziness because they’re just comfortable, they’re easy to put on, you don’t have to wash them very often. While that’s something you may have worn during your college days when you’re studying for a test, it’s not something a grown man should wear in public.

Actually, even at home, I think a hoodie is just over the top because usually, it’s warm enough that you don’t need the hood.

Do you think this looks good?

Do you think this looks good?

Cargo Pants

Wearing cargo pants may be quite practical and if you’re in certain situations, that may be okay maybe at work, but if you are in the presence of a classy woman, it just shows that you couldn’t be bothered to either take the items and store them somewhere else, or maybe take care of your outer appearance because it will always destroy the seal with the way you look.

Its important to take care of your nails

It’s important to take care of your nails

Ungroomed Nails

Even if you work in a job where your hands get dirty, you can make sure to invest in a nice grooming nail kit, maybe a brush and some proper soap, and you can always clean up your hands afterward having nail dirt underneath your toes on your hands clean up. Honestly, there’s no need to spend a lot of money or time on a professional manicure.

Tom Selleck with chest hair protruding from his shirt

Tom Selleck with chest hair protruding from his shirt

Ungroomed Hair

That can be your haircut, that can be your facial hair, let’s say your eyebrows when you have one that is super long, maybe you have a unibrow. But one of the things that makes you probably look the least attractive and very old at the same time, are having nose hair and your hair so always make sure you look at those areas and if you see any hair, use a pair of tweezers or maybe a nose hair trimmer and make sure you’re neat. Because not having well-groomed hair is a sign of lack of respect for yourself and therefore also probably for others.

What do you think makes women look the other way? Share your thoughts below!

Summary
10 Things That Men Wear That Women Hate
Article Name
10 Things That Men Wear That Women Hate
Description
A list of 10 items of clothing that make women look the other way; alternative options you can wear to attract the ladies!
Author
Publisher
Gentleman's Gazette LLC
Publisher Logo
  1. Christine says:

Seconding the baseball-cap thing. Unfortunately, fedoras have been tainted in current popular culture by their association with the socially awkward; so unfair. Stylish men need to take them back.

• Charles Jensen says:

It’s so tacky to see a person wearing a baseball cap in an eatery. It’s right up there with people who photograph the meal plate with their I phone. AWFUL.

2. Dapper Dan says:

Just can it, David & Waffique (such an “effeminate” name…): according to my young lady, Sven has perfectly described how so many men dress poorly! And virtually all the failings only need some common sense to fix…
    Good work, SRS

• Pietro says:

In Italian we have a splendid term for people sporting hair-styles like the one in the picture: Tamarro, singular and Tamarri, plural.

Even if Tamarri have their own flashy “style”, they genreally taint anything they touch.

Their most distingushing behavioural trait is that they take themselves awfully seriously, are unjustly proud and very easy to take umbrage. In other words, a few large families of monkeys dwell permanetly on their shoulders…

Their preferred item of clothing is an oversize “net wife-beater”.

3. Dave says:

It’s difficult to pull off a good look with sandals, but, in keeping with the article’s theme, womed don’t seem put off by them.

• MRW says:

Can’t verify the validity of your statement, but it’s funny.

I think the oddest pair I’ve seen, as far as clothing goes, is the ‘she is dressed for a cocktail party, and he is dressed for a pig-pickin’ ‘
      It’s as if they have their dates and/or events mixed up.

4. John says:

Socks with sandals- actually sandals period. Man buns. Actually about everything I see on 90% of the population today.

I will say ball caps and T’s are OK at places like the beach. I’m guessing you were talking about other environments though!

5. HC Wong says:

Hi Raphael,
    Thanks for your article and video. GG has helped me a lot in my style journey. I, however, have a problem. My girlfriend sometimes complains that I dress too formally and makes she look bad when standing beside me. How would you address this problem?

• Dave Jackson says:

Actually, this is an extremely valid point. As I never really dress informally if I go out in public even for a short while, my wife often has the same view. I’d be interested to know the answer.

• Dr. Christopher Lee says:

Interesting indeed. The opposite is usually seen more often, where the guy dresses poorly and doesn’t give a damn whereas his female partner dresses with care. Men in this situation seem not to be concerned about being overshadowed, however, whereas women tend not to like it (I don’t want to generalize either). I suppose the only solution is to compromise, dressing on occasion in smart casual or casual (well-made chinos and a polo, for example) to suit the situation. Casual doesn’t have to be crappy either. OTOH, hopefully your partner, if you’re both committed, will also begin to integrate some more refined clothing into her wardrobe over time. Work at convincing her about the value of elevated style.

• Sven Raphael Schneider says:

Of course, you do not want to make her look bad. Maybe you can tell her in advance what you will be wearing, so you can show up as a harmonious couple or each with their own distinct style.Unfortunately, there is no cooking recipe solution for this.

6. MRW says:

Not every guy can pull off every look.
    I’m with you on most of your list, however, just because some of us will look foolish in a pastel jacket, does not mean we all will.
    Clothing choices are a reflection of one’s environment. In the South, light, colorful clothing is not only appropriate in Spring and Summer, it’s also cooler.
    As for a woman’s clothing choices for her date, boyfriend, fiance, or husband, this varies greatly according to the woman.
    I’ve been fortunate in having past girlfriends and my current fiancee purchase clothing for me. The girlfriend before my fiancee purchased clothing for me that reflected her ‘evening in the city ‘ (as in darker colors, navy, blacks, etc). My fiancee thinks these colors make me look as if I’m a hit-man. She favors lighter colors that reflect suburbia and it’s environment
    I’ve also sold clothing (suits, etc). for a major department store.
    80% of my customers were women.
    Their choices varied greatly at times, although one would notice themes according to the event.

7. Simon says:

“The perfect example of how a backpack can ruin your look”

Not to mention the white sneakers, no socks and too short pants. What a mess.

Great article!

8. Matt says:

Totally agree for most.
    But Tom Selleck as an example of what women hate? Are we serious? Your wives/gfs say they hate his look: that’s because they love you and don’t want to hurt you. Even if we all dressed like Beau f*ing Brummel, Selleck would still be hotter. Get over it 🙂

9. Scott Reno says:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say women hate these, but there are times when they are inappropriate. Except for ill fitting clothes and poorly kept nails, which are always inappropriate, all these styles can be worn in situations were women won’t hate them. What is important is knowing when to wear them and when not to. For instance I wear cargo pants daily, but I think most men pair them with a baggy T-shirt. I prefer a flannel or canvas shirt or something with an outdoors look.

However, I would never wear them in a situation where they wouldn’t fit in. I’m not a clothes horse, but I have a few pieces of clothing I can wear in different combinations for different occasions. It is not knowing when not to wear the above styles most women hate.

10. Pierre says:

I object to the use of Jeff Seid (muscular guy) as an example.

He’s obviously at the gym and hence it is acceptable attire. Makes one think that there is some sort of stigma against being a muscular gentleman.

11. Oscar says:

Well, most of the points in this article are correct, but it´s still only a generalization of course. Rules are important to follow, but only to a certain degree. Why ? Because following every single idea based on other´s people opinions makes you just dumb sheep, nothing more and I hate being sheep, so I try to be myself most of the time. I make compromises only in very few situations, where it´s absolutely necessary. Most people just don´t care about their true identity and want to follow the crowd, which is dumb as hell to my opinion. For example, I prefer to wear suits 95% of my time (not only at work), because I love it and I am just being myself, simple as it is. A lot of people just don´t get it, because they are only able to do what others do, which would be alright if they would not make this stupid comments sometimes. They would ask… Hey, are going for some wedding or Hey, why are you wearing this ? Those questions make them look stupid, because it lacks intelligence in the sense, that nobody is able to figure out, I´m just wearing it for my good feelings and for fun. Now for the women, who don´t like men wearing certain things. Why should they have an upper hand in everything and tell men, what to do or not to do. What about men telling women, what they should wear ? Furthemore, articles like this don´t really work in real life. I see most women dating sloppy men wherever I look and it doesn´t look like they care about it. If women trully carred about it, they wouldn´t date such men. If you hate something, you don´t want to put up with it, do you ? In the end, those women are not better than those sloppy men they date ! Gentlemen, don´t forget the last important fact ! If a woman want´s to change you to her own picture and doesn´t take you for who you are, then it is not a true love. It´s only a manipulation and this is not right. It´s roots are in low self-esteem and I personally don´t like this kind of people, they are fake to me. If you are sloppy from nature and a woman doesn´t like it, tell her to find somebody else, who is not sloppy for her, because you are who you are and that´s it. Don´t conform to anyone´s orders, because you lose your life and identity. Now I have a girlfriend, who fully accept me for who I am despite the fact, she is more sporty in clothing, than me, so I believe more in such a relationship. We like each other for who we are without any deception. Of course we are still not 100% ideal couple, but it´s healthy relationship anyway. I hope, I didn´t offend anyone with this comment and don´t want to offend Mr. Schneider either. Just saying, such articles could be dangerous for society. Have a nice day !

12. Jennifer says:

I don’t hate any of these except the tight fitting suit. I actually hate it when a man cares a lot about how he looks. I find it effeminate and I am so NOT attracted to effeminate men.

• Oscar says:

I really would like to know, what it means, when a man takes care a lot about his looks ? You seem to have a low self-esteem to me, which is rather repulsive. In old days people used to look their best and now everybody says, that sloppiness is alright ? Are you nuts ? You just don´t have it right in your head. This generation of people is really sick !!! Like I said, those are opinions of people with low self-esteem and especially women, who are not able to have a partner better looking, than themselves. Such people should be avoided like plague. Sorry, but you are really sick !!! I only take example of Mr. Schneider, because he looks best of all and knows, why he is doing that. We people have eyes and are attracted to beautiful things. I know, that fashion changes, but people are too sloppy nowadays. Terrible taste in everything ! No good standards and quality is really low. Shame on this generation of people without any dignity.

13. Botha says:

On a sidenote: nail biting has nothing to do with sloppiness or lack of style, it is rather a psychological issue.
    But that’s what my wife came up with in addition to the above:
    (1) Jeans(!) with(!) everything(!) – why not chinos, cloth trousers, corduroy trousers etc.?; (2) Sneakers with everything – with or without socks; (3) Sandals in any shape, size or colour – with or without socks; (4) Any kind of golden bracelet or necklace which makes you look like a pimp or – even worse – like the owner of a tanning shop; (5) Unpolished shoes; (6) In a similar vein: unironed shirts (“You couldn’t care less”); (7) Sloppy shaving (“You couldn’t be bothered to look into a mirror.); (8) Tie bars (as opposed to tie pins which look dignified); (9) Bare feet („Men’s feet are hideous“); (10) Ageing and greying men who start growing a beard (“You no longer look ageing and greying – you look old and grey”.); (11) Likewise a “designer stubble” (“You don’t look like a designer but like a foundry worker after a night shift.”); (12) Short socks (instead of knee-length socks) which expose your ivory calves; (13) Novelty ties (“The novelty wears off in no time”.); (14) Old men wearing “sensible” shoes; (15) Wearing a jacket without a tie, a necktie or a cravat in a vain attempt to look like the CEO of a startup. (“At the very best you look like an upstart”.).

The most important lesson: an unkempt young man looks – well – unkempt. An unkempt old man looks repulsive.

14. Faron says:

Good points, good discussion. My bug-a-boo, under “Cries for Attention,” big watches. I think the 40mm is the largest a man needs, with an average wrist. Vintage Diver’s watches look like midgets compared to todays average. Also, maybe Jennifer meant obsessed more than cares. The sort of obsession that cause males to wear makeup, dye their hair, or be overly concerned with their, or anyone else’s feelings. Oops, hope I didn’t hurt anyones feelings.

• Oscar says:

I know, what you mean. Jennifer might have thought about it that way, but the problem is, she couldn´t write it in the proper meaning. Instead of the word CARE, she should have written OBSESSION with makeup etc… Of course, I didn´t want to hurt anybody as well. I´m just usually mad, when I see someone saying unhealthy opinions, because it affects nearly all of us. Good day to all of you !!!

15. Ryan says:

I really don’t understand why t shirts are so bad. A nice black or white form fitting t can be nice and casual. I totally hate ones with stupid print or sayings on them, but a straight color shirt can be nice.

• Botha says:

Let’s face it, Ryan, many – if not most – men beyond their 30th birthday do not look all that well in a T-shirt. Speaking for myself: they highlight the aspects of my physique I would not like to share with the rest of the world… So a polo shirt or rather a dress shirt look more flattering. And wearing T-shirts with a jacket should be confined to “Miami Vice Reunions”…

16. Eliott says:

Is anyone here from Australia? The reason being is that it is the common trend that men wear thongs (flip flops in the UK) shorts and t-shirt. And they do it everywhere, even in the city, and they are often with well dressed ladies too. Is it like that in the US or Europe or is the prolific phenomenon of thongs an Australian style? When I read GG articles that state that thongs are not appropriate in most situations, I just don’t know what to make of the dress culture here in Australia. If most people are doing it does it make it acceptable? I don’t think anyone thinks less of a man here because he wears thongs. Anyway I really appreciate this site and am very inspired by it. SRS is doing a fantastic job. Thank you for all your shared knowledge.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Don’t be surprised that sweatpants and sports jerseys didn’t make the list because women like men to wear clothes that make them proud to stand by you. Also, make sure to checkout our guide on 10 Things Men Wear Women Hate… […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!